Sunday, March 06, 2005

I Heart Crisps

Being a dog, I'm hungry pretty much around the clock. If there's something to be eaten somewhere, you can bet I'll be lurking nearby. Fortunately my mistress likes her food almost as much as I do.

Yesterday was shopping day, which means the cupboards are currently fertile foraging grounds. Yippee!



After wading through a forest of dried herbs, I located some prawn-cracker style crisps with a Chinese Spare-Rib and Five-Spice flavour. Ooh-er, that's a bit fancy! I thought to myself. I wonder if they're any good?



Well would you Adam and Eve it- within ten minutes, I'd devoured the entire bag. I can barely describe how much I enjoyed them. So delicious! So more-ish!

I really admire what you people have created with snack food technology in the last decade. I applaud your achievements in overcoming xenophobic crisp-purchasing behaviour in the British public. I still recall the time when honey mustard ham was considered an avant-garde flavour, and when people shook their heads at the ill-conceived notion of prawn cocktail crisps.

It would seem that the industry is moving to achieve the inclusion of ever-increasing numbers of tastes combined within the same flavour. Generally speaking, the current limit seems to be two- albiet, complex- tastes, such as oven-roasted chicken and thyme, or chargrilled beef and peppercorn (although technically, spare-rib and five spice equals six individual flavours).

As a champion of experimentalism and pushing the envelope, may I be so bold as to put forward some of my own flavour suggestions. Perhaps one day, science will be able to realise my vision:

Full English Breakfast (beans, egg, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, black pudding, toast)
Sunday Roast (roast beef, potatoes, pumpkin, parsnips, Yorkshire pudding)
Ploughman's Lunch (bread, cheddar, pickles, onions, chutney)
Pie and Mash (meat pie, mash, liquor)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Big Dog said...

I think you have a future in the snack food industry Hachiko! Perhaps you should approach them with your brilliant flavour ideas. Maybe they could try a Battenberg Cake flavoured crisp too ;)

2:35 PM  
Blogger Natsthename said...

Crisp=Potato Chip in the US, correct?

Where is that English-English dictionary when I need it?

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home