Saturday, March 05, 2005

Saturday Afternoon

I bet you nine-to-fivers out there think that others couldn't possibly appreciate the weekend as much as you do, right? Well, it's not true. My favourite time of the week happens to be Saturday afternoon. This is when my mistress, having bought her weekend newspaper earlier that morning from the corner off-license, leaves me home alone while she goes off to the local farmers' markets.

I rather like imagining her scrabbling around baskets of dirt-encrusted root vegetables as I relax with a civilised espresso and peruse the latest round-up of designer grooming products.



It warmed the cockles of my heart to read, on page 7, some good press about Pete Doherty. He's been incredibly prolific this week, performing with his band Babyshambles, appearing on BBC radio, and producing some rather intense art for a anarchic-sounding East End literary magazine. What's more, in between all this he even found time for a haircut!

I jest with affection, of course. I actually have a terribly soft spot for Mr D, and have really felt for him over these last few weeks. After all, here is a chap who, like myself, exists in the uncertain territory beyond the borders of what is deemed 'acceptable' and 'normal'. We wander like two l'étrangers in a metaphysical-philosophical desert, frustrated with the world, essentially misunderstood, yearning simply to be allowed just to be, openly and without questions or judgement.

Oh Mr D, champion of the outsiders! I dance to the poetry in my head and hereby toast you with the dregs of my Lavazza.

1 Comments:

Blogger Natsthename said...

Ahhh, the pleasures of Saturday. Sunday, too, for that matter! Have an extra biscuit for me!

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home