Sunday, April 24, 2005

I'm Feeling Supersonic, Give Me Jynnan Tonnyx



Right now any pop culture maven worth their salt is going to be counting down the days impatiently until the film version of The Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy is released at their local cinema, which, for those of us living in the UK and the US, is next Friday the 29th April- Yippee!!

It's too difficult for me to explain what Hitch-Hikers is to anybody who hasn't read the books, and in any case Wikipedia does it much better. Acquaint yourself with at least the high level storyline. If indeed storyline is the most appropriate descriptor for the chaotically tangential narrative that comprises the novels in this series.

Notwithstanding the fact that, being a toy dog, I most likely won't be able to see it until it is available for Mistress to purchase on DVD, I've been trying to speed through the trilogy again before I watch the film. Of course, this being a five book trilogy it's been taking me a while. Mind you, I'm suddenly getting a lot more of these jokes now that I'm here in England. The last time I read Hitch-Hiker's I was in the storage facility of a manufacturer's warehouse in southern China. God's truth, this particular factory produced only stuffed dogs and boxed-set Chinese translations of the Hitch-Hiker's books. That was in my former life as an unloved, neglected, mass-produced toy, where there was not much else to do except squabble with your neighbours over the bubble-wrap (and since all of us were identical, it was difficult to keep track of whom you were actually squabbling with, so you ended up being in a huff with pretty much everybody), and read.

What really struck me, on reading the books again, is how prescient Douglas Adams was. He's like what William Gibson would have been if he'd written for Monty Python. In their own ways, each predicted the Internet as we know it today (incidentally, Adams started his own web-based Hitch-Hiker's guide years ago, called h2g2 , now hosted by the BBC website), only Adams' version is much funnier. Both authors' works are dazzling in their vision, and they share common elements, such as a fundamental anxiety for the future of the human race. However I must confess there are times when I prefer my sci-fi dysfunctional rather than dystopic.

1 Comments:

Blogger just sayin' said...

My sister gave me a computer version of hitchhikers guide many many years ago. I never knew there was first a book. It was an extremely frustrating experience. I never got out of the yard.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home